Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"This is cool" . . . In the zone with black key Improv!

This afternoon during the 2:00 adult RMM class, we were improvising with voices chosen by the students. One of the ladies in class always groans when we get ready to improvise. After a few minutes, I suggested we try some voices: shamisen, koto, pan flute, shakuhachi and harp. I said, "Let's listen carefully to each voice and decide how each of our instruments fits into the orchestra." The shakuhachi (a toned bamboo instrument) kept the beat. The harp plucked 2 notes at a time and played occasional glissandos. The pan flute played long sustained tones. We were all transported to a different place - we were in the zone. This improv sounded like a soundtrack from a movie. As I was observing smiling faces, obviously caught up in the moment, totally enjoying themselves, I happened to glance at the lady who usually complains about improvising. She caught my eye and I read her lips, she whispered, "This is cool." Did I mention, I love my work!

1 comment: