Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The RMM Journey for Facilitators

I just returned from MTNA National Convention at Disneyland. We were so fortunate to have had a dedicated track for RMM on Pedagogy Saturday. It was wonderful to hear inspiring and heartwarming stories of how music had changed the lives of students. And how the experience of facilitating RMM classes had changed the lives of teachers. As I visited with many talented professionals who had been touched by the message of Recreational Music Making, I was reminded of my own journey. The transformation doesn't happen instantly for most. It seems to start with a resonating message; music has the power to change lives. Did I want to invest my life teaching people to play the piano or did I want to be involved in changing lives. My philosophical evolution took several years - and RMM facilitating has now become my mission. If you're an RMM facilitator on 'the journey', be patient with yourself. There are thousands of people who are just waiting for someone like you to give them permission to play the piano.

4 comments:

  1. I was at your session about teen groups, and it was absolutely wonderful. I'm so glad I saw your session. It was enlightening, and I'm looking forward to finding out more about RMM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. I love hangin with teenagers ...playing music. Good luck on your RMM journey! It will change your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It seems to start with a resonating message; music has the power to change lives. Did I want to invest my life teaching people to play the piano or did I want to be involved in changing lives."

    LOVE this! I am right there with you!

    ReplyDelete