Monday, September 3, 2012

RMM! Everyone is Welcome!

As I was pondering why I love facilitating RMM piano classes this afternoon, the first thought that came to me was, "Everyone is Welcome." Regardless of age, talent, time to play between classes - as long as there is a desire to play (and there always is)- Come join a class and get ready to have FUN! The exclusivity factor that is prevalent in most traditional teaching approaches simply doesn't exist in RMM. The social bonds that are formed in groups are like close-knit families. I overheard a group of adults visiting before class a couple of weeks ago and they were saying that this is where they come to laugh. Laughter is good for us! Music is good for us! Let's spread the LAUGHTER and the FUN! Happy Playing and Happy Teaching!

5 comments:

  1. Will,
    I find I am slipping back into my stodgy old piano teacher habits when I do my temporary (I hope!) groups of 1! How do you still keep true to the concepts of RMM with just one?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In RMM, what the STUDENT wants from the experience is the important thing. Of course, have a plan in mind before the student arrives. But, be ready to abandon the plan if the student has something else in mind. Ask, "So what would you like to do today?" Then get ready to go with the flow. Students don't have to play the whole piece. . . students don't have to play accurately. . . students don't have to play classical music. . . students just have to have fun making music, and our job is to create fulfilling musical experiences. You'll find yourself going back to your old teacher habits for the next couple of years, if you're like the rest of us. Be of good cheer! The fact that you recognize this, in itself, is an amazing realization. Your private students will love this style of teaching and you'll be amazed at their progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Will, for your encouraging reply. More later...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you really teach Keyboarding for Kids or Way Cool Keyboarding like this??? My head goes tilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed you can! Learning to let go and go with the individual student and/or the class is a complicated process. It's probably a bit different for each facilitator. My daughter, who facilitates our 7-9 classes (she also wrote the words for the tunes in Way Cool Kids)started 3 years ago with absolutely no piano teaching experience or teaching experience. She is quite amazing with the kids and the philosophy. I think it's been easier for her than for me, since she came in with a blank slate. Undoing previous habits and assumptions about teaching and learning takes time. Be patient with yourself. This is a kinder way to share music.

    ReplyDelete