Saturday, July 28, 2012

What is Recreational Music Making (RMM) and how can I implement this philosophy into my studio today?  The following list was borrowed from drumcirclemusic - RMM is:
  • music for personal satisfaction
  • not performance-oriented
  • not competitive or comparative
  • geared toward amateur musicians
  • a way of creating positive social experiences
A teacher approached me yesterday and described a student who will be a senior in high school this fall.  This student plays at an early intermediate level.  Not interested in classical music. Loves to play for her personal satisfaction, doesn't want to play in public, doesn't want to compete or compare herself to other students, loves coming to lessons and interact with her teacher, she is an amateur musician (keep in mind the root word of amateur is amo from the Latin to love - an amateur musician is one who loves playing music) - she also is the perfect example of the typical RMM student. 
This teacher, who I respect greatly, reminded me of who much I've personally changed over the past decade.  She felt as if she would be doing this student a great disservice if she didn't push her to play more difficult music that the student simply wasn't interested in. I've definitely been there and done that.  This young lady already LOVES music!  This teacher is already a SUCCESS!  Just find beautiful music that inspires this student and give her permission to PLAY.  I, of course, sent here home with Way Cool Keyboarding II and a list of tunes from my website: Argentina Sky, Snow Train, Abandoned Heart, Sylvia's Song, Charmed, and In the Distance; pieces that will be easily accessible and still satisfying. Also, suggested she watch the Tutorials (If I Die Young - is on the home page of the site).  I'm kind of boring, but the content is good and it shows students and teachers how to quickly play popular tunes. 

It is my opinion that there are countless hundreds maybe thousands of people who love music and would love playing music if we as teachers/facilitators gave them permission to play - not our way - but their way - playing music they love. 

Let's all embrace the RMM philosophy and start Making Music simply for the love of Making Music!

Happy Teaching!

1 comment: